9 December 2022
Ski Holiday Destinations to Consider for the Mid-Semester Break
Semester break is coming! One of the best times of the year to travel with your child is, of course, during the mid-semester holiday. Have you been thinking about a ski vacation where you can create family memories? This year the mid-semester break takes place between January 23, and February 3, 2023.We're sure your kids will love all of these locations.
Here are the most beautiful destination you can choose and what you need to know to begin your planning.
One of the best places to ski in Türkiye is at Palandöken in Erzururm. The ski centre, which is about half an hour away from Erzurum Airport, boasts one of Turkey's longest ski slopes. You can enjoy the winter weather, register your child for ski lessons, and easily buy clothes and rent boards and skis.
Erciyes Ski Centre is another popular Turkish ski and snowboard destination. Even during high season the slopes are not crowded here as the resort sprawls over a large area. There are easy, medium and difficult runs to enjoy for skiers of all levels. You can also take ski lessons and rent equipment on site.
Kartalkaya is mostly preferred by İstanbulites due to its proximity to the city. In this delightful ski centre established at the top of Bolu Köroğlu Mountains, there are 13 runs catering to different skill levels. You are ensured a fun-filled snowy holiday with your family. Ski lessons and equipment rental are also available at this resort.
Uludağ Ski Centre is a great destination for families with children because it is easy to reach from many different cities. Here, your children can have ski lessons and enjoy other winter activities. Après-ski visit the other areas surrounding Bursa such as Mudanya, Trilye, Cumalıkızık.
If you want to spend your holiday outside of Türkiye, try Bansko in nearby Bulgaria. Attracting attention with its long and varied slopes, the Bansko Ski Centre is enjoyed by visitors from all over the world each year. A wonderful experience surely awaits you and your children here.
Finland & Rovaniemi
Finland is one of the most special places we can recommend to adventurous families who enjoy discovering new places. You will not only have a great time skiing or snowboarding here, but you will also give the gift of unforgettable memories to your children. You can visit the Santa Claus Village in Rovaniemi where your children can pet the reindeer and get a photo with Santa Claus. There are many more things to discover in Finland. Do your research as soon as possible so you can plan an unforgettable holiday experience.
Gudauri is located close to Türkiye and it doesn’t require a visa. The ski resort is close to Georgia’s capital, Tbilisi. It is popular due to its multiple long runs and for being an economical resort destination. If you want to have a pleasant family holiday without traveling too far away, you should give Gudauri Ski Resort a chance.
Our next recommended ski destination is located in Austria, in the region of Zillertal. Mayrhofen Ski Centre has a 135-kilometer slope area making it possible for skiers of all levels to enjoy themselves. While families with children or beginners may prefer the Ahornberg area, experts will enjoy skiing in the Penken Park area more. This ski resort is also home to the steepest slope in Austria, the Harakiri run, famous for its 78% gradient.
Bonus 1: Things to consider before your first skiing experience
We’ve listed above a selection of domestic and international ski destinations where you can have a great winter holiday with your family. However, if you or your children are going to ski for the first time, you should consider a beginner’s ski lesson. Your instructor will explain to you everything you need to know for your enjoyment and safety. We would also like to highlight some important considerations here:
- Take care to choose your ski equipment carefully.
- Your shoes should fit your feet perfectly.
- Wear goggles for your safety.
- Be sure to do warm-up exercises before starting.
- Eat lightly and drink plenty of water before skiing.
- Wear knee and elbow pads along with a helmet.
- Pay attention to the signs indicating the difficulty level of each run.
- Make sure to take regular breaks to ward off fatigue.
Bonus 2: Things to consider when skiing with children
Skiing is a sport that improves coordination and balance for people of all ages. It can provide great benefits for children in terms of physical development. It strengthens the leg muscles and increases agility. Keep the following information in mind when planning a ski vacation with children:
- The recommended age for children to begin skiing independently is at around four to six years of age. Children learn the finer techniques of skiing around the age of five. Lessons for younger children are essentially a fun introduction that includes lots of play to familiarize them with equipment and snow safety.
- Moving over the snow using ski equipment requires a certain amount of muscle strength and can be tiring. It is worth spending the time to warm-up instead of forcing children down a hill unprepared.
- Children's skiing means ski lessons. Attempting to ski independently without training and supervision by an experienced ski professional is not safe.
- The instructor's word must be adhered to in understanding snow conditions, in choosing proper equipment and identifying appropriate runs. The teacher will advise you in how to identify suitable conditions for your child's safety.